[Misc] Diary | Midnight Sun CTF Writeup 2018

This one was fairly easy.

First, you were given a compressed file called 'diary'. Inside diary there were 2 text files and 1 folder:

  • .git
  • diary.txt
  • whishlist.txt
Inside diary.txt:


Hello!

This is my diary. There are many like it but this one is mine.

April 9th
Today was a good day. I ate some pie.

April 10th
I was a little bit sad today.

April 11th
Today I found a flag, it said: <PAGE TORN HERE> that sounds very interesting.

April 12th
I called my uncle today. He said he read a cool story in the newspaper.

April 13th
Tomorrow is my birthday. I am very excited to see if I get a cake.

April 14th
Woho! Today is my birthday! And we are hacking!

Inside whishlist.txt:

~~ My Wishlist ~~
* A dog
* Computer game
* A wolf t-shirt
* Stickers
* Pencil

Now, because there was a .git folder, I figured we could just look at the git log and see what was there.



Googling a bit, I found out that git fsck could be used to check the validity of the objects in the local database.


One of my teammates pointed out the dangling commit part, and with a bit of googling, this is what we ended up with.



+ 50 points :)

Comments

Popular Posts